In the run-up to Andrew Gower‘s 30th birthday on 8 November we tweeted a “30 Facts about Andrew Gower” countdown. In case you missed some of them (or would like to read them again) Here is the complete countdown again with some trivia that you may or may not know about him yet. Enjoy!
2. Scouse is also a type of lamb or beef stew popular in the Liverpool region and (in variations) in countries around the North Sea. Think lapskaus in Norway, lapskojs in Sweden, skipperlabskovs in Denmark, and Labskaus in northern Germany.
3. He dreamed about becoming a professional football player when he was younger. He still occassionally plays with his team FC Beaujolais or for charity. Our #ManOfTheMatch!
4. The “love of his life” is his favourite football team, Everton. #COYB
5. If he could choose a super power, he’d want the ability to fly. We’re sure that can be arranged in a future film, TV show or play!
7. He was 15 when he formed his band Emerson with some friends and played gigs in NW England, most notably in the famous Cavern Club (where The Beatles also regularly played in their early years) in Liverpool.
13. Short films can be little gems of cinematography. One of them is Manjinder Virk‘s Out Of Darkness in which Andrew Gower appeared alongside Tom Hiddleston (among others). If you haven’t yet, you need to watch it!
16. He does intense research when creating his characters, and even his baddie characters have a human side that makes the audience feel and root for them. #TeamEzra #TeamCutler
17. In preparation for his first professional role as trainee surgeon Andrew Mullery on medical drama Monroe, Andrew Gower watched two coronary artery bypass surgeries while standing next to the actual surgeons.
18. So far almost all his characters have had either weird love lives or creative deaths – or both. Only The Village‘s Gilbert Hankin enjoyed some kind of Happy End.
19. Five of his characters died a total of 7 deaths (6 of them on screen). None of them died of natural causes. He was shot (twice), stabbed, choked, bled and clubbed to death (twice). Ouch!
21. History vs. Fiction: He’s played 6 real life figures so far: Roman emperor Caligula, The White Queen‘s Lord Strange, Outlander‘s Bonnie Prince Charlie, Poldark‘s James Hadfield and musician Tommy Quickly.
22. As Bonnie Prince Charlie he muttered his (in)famous catchphrase “Mark Me” only 17 times in 9 of his 10 Outlander episodes, so less than twice per episode.
23. Carnival Row is the first time he’s acted in a fantasy setting. His other projects are split evenly between historical (12) and contemporary (12).
24. Andrew Gower is without doubt our favourite, but what are some of his? His favourite ice-cream is pistachio, his favourite comfort food is cereal and he loves the rice pudding his mom used to make for him when he was a kid.
28. His Black Mirror episode “Crocodile” filmed in Iceland during the largest snowfall in 40 years while Carnival Row filmed in Prague during the Beast From The East. Sweden (for short film Ark) looks rather snowy, too!
30. He turns 30 years old on 8 November 2019! Happy birthday, Andrew Gower!